Derek L. Smith
Founder and Partner
DEREK L. SMITH founded Virginia Estate & Trust Law, PLC as a boutique estates and trusts law firm in 2002. He designed the firm (formerly known as Virginia Fiduciary, PLC) to provide professional fiduciary services in addition to estate planning and other traditional legal services. Today, it is a leader among Virginia law firms in a business traditionally served by banks and trust companies.
“The concept of a Virginia law firm providing corporate fiduciary services to augment a traditional estate planning practice was a novel idea that arose to satisfy client demand. We are grateful and proud that time has validated our business model.”
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Fellow
- Estate Planning Council of Richmond, Emeritus Member
- Trust Administrators Council of Richmond, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Trusts and Estates Section, Board of Governors, Past Chair
Prior work experience
- Williams Mullen, Partner
- McGuireWoods, Associate and Partner
Education and recognition
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- College of William & Mary, B.A. in Government
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Trusts & Estates
- Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Estate Planning & Probate Law, Virginia Super Lawyers